ST. ADALBERT FEAST DAY – The community of St. Adalbert parish in Chicago invites one and all to to come to an historic Polish church and attend a special tri-lingual mass (English, Polish ,Spanish), commemorating the feast day of St. Adalbert at 1pm, Saturday, April 23rd, at St. Adalbert church, located at 1650 W. 17th Street, Chicago, in the heart of the historic Pilsen community. The parish of St. Adalbert was originally founded in 1874 by the Polish immigrant community that resided in Pilsen. The present church, dedicated in 1914, was designed by the well known church architect Henry J. Schlacks and modeled after St. Paul’s Basilica in Rome.
For over 102 years, this church has been a beacon of hope and peace to all who enter. Its massive towers and inspiring interior, along with the majestic four manual, forty-eight rank W. W. Kimball pipe organ instill a sense of awe. Currently, this church is in imminent danger of being lost, due to church consolidation plans, as well as needed structural work to the twin church towers. Much is being done in an effort to save this church for future generations. St. Adalbert church is the third oldest Polish church in Chicago, and the first and oldest Polish church on the south side of the city. Come and join us as we honor our patron saint, and ask his intercession so that our church may continue to serve future generations. A social gathering with food and refreshments will immediately follow the mass in the school hall.
Parking is available in the church parking lot. The church is also located a block north of the CTA’s 18th Street Pink Line station, and is also served by CTA #9 Ashland buses, a half block east of the church, on Ashland Avenue.