Tickets are still available for purchase online for the Absolute Fencing Gear® Korfanty World Cup, May 3-5 at the University of Illinois at Chicago Flames Athletic Center, 839 W. Roosevelt Rd.
Preliminary action in the individual events takes place on May 3 followed by final rounds on May 4. The team competition will take place on May 5.
Members of Poland’s team that will be fencing include:
- Aleksandra Socha, 2003 Senior World medalist and currently #5 in the world
- Katarzyna Kedziora, 2010 Junior World Team silver medalist
- Marta Puda, 2010 Junior World Team silver medalist
- Matylda Ostojska, 2008 Junior World bronze medalist
- Malgorzata Kozaczuk, two-time Senior World Team member
- Adam Skrodzki, 2012 Olympian and five-time Senior World Team member
- Jakub Ocinski, 2013 Junior World Team member
- Maciej Regulewski, 2010 Senior World Team member
Four members of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team are scheduled to compete in Chicago, including:
- Mariel Zagunis (Beaverton, Ore.), two-time Olympic Champion and 2008 Olympic team bronze medalist
- Dagmara Wozniak (Avenel, N.J.), eighth-place finisher at the London Games and two-time Senior World Team bronze medalist
- Daryl Homer (Bronx, N.Y.), sixth-place finisher at the London Games
- Jeff Spear (Wynantskill, N.Y.), 2012 Moscow World Cup bronze medalist
Team USA also will include a total of 30 men’s and 30 women’s fencers and will feature a lineup of former Junior and Senior World medalists and 2016 Olympic hopefuls.
General admission tickets are available for $5 per day or $12 for a three-day pass at www.sabreworldcup.com.
In addition to U.S. Olympians, fencing fans will have the chance to watch more than a dozen Olympic medalists vie for World Cup gold in Chicago, including:
- Ji-Yeon Kim (KOR), 2012 Olympic Champion
- Olga Kharlan (UKR), 2012 Olympic bronze medalist and 2008 Olympic Team Champion
- Aron Szilagyi (HUN), 2012 Olympic Champion
- Diego Occhiuzzi (ITA), 2012 Olympic silver medalist and team bronze medalist
- Nikolay Kovalev (RUS), 2012 Olympic bronze medalist
- Bon-Gil Gu (KOR), 2012 Olympic Team Champion
- Jung-Hwan Kim (KOR), 2012 Olympic Team Champion
- Eun-Seok Oh (KOR), 2012 Olympic Team Champion
- Aldo Montano (ITA), 2012 Olympic Team bronze medalist and 2004 Olympic Champion
- Luigi Samele (ITA), 2012 Olympic Team bronze medalist
Competition schedule is as follows:
Friday, May 3 (Physical Education Building)
Women’s Individual Pool Rounds and Preliminary Tables
Men’s Individual Pool Rounds and Preliminary Tables
Saturday, May 4 (Flames Athletic Center)
Women’s Individual Direct Elimination Table of 64 – Quarter-finals
Men’s Individual Direct Elimination Table of 64 – Quarter-finals
Men’s and Women’s Individual Semifinal and Final and Final Rounds
Sunday, May 5 (Flames Athletic Center)
Women’s Team Direct Elimination Tables
Men’s Team Direct Elimination Tables 6 p.m.